Turquoise Hill is committed to protecting the environment and to safeguarding the health, safety and welfare of all employees, contractors and communities who are affected by Turquoise Hill and Oyu Tolgoi. The Company is dedicated to performing its duties in a safe, environmentally responsible and effective manner.
Turquoise Hill supports and respects human rights consistent with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and seeks to ensure that we are not complicit in human rights abuses committed by others. The Company respects and supports the dignity, well-being and rights of our employees, their families and the communities in which we operate. Turquoise Hill also sets out to build enduring relationships with our neighbours that demonstrate mutual respect, active partnership, and long-term commitment. The Company respects the diversity of indigenous peoples, acknowledging the unique and important interests that they have in the land, waters and environment as well as their history, culture and traditional ways.
Oyu Tolgoi’s commitment to operating in a sustainable way is unshakable. Oyu Tolgoi is also committed to minimizing and mitigating the mine’s operational impact on the environment while continuing to uphold the highest environment standards and drawing of the advice of environmental experts as well as local communities.
Since 2010, Oyu Tolgoi has been developing a Health, Safety and Environmental management system in compliance with IOS 14001 Environmental and OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety management standards. In 2013, Oyu Tolgoi was independently audited and received certification on these standards.
In meeting its sustainability commitments, Oyu Tolgoi complies with the following regulations and requirements:
- All relevant environmental laws, regulations and standards of Mongolia;
- Internationally recognized mining standards;
- Environmental requirements and standards of the Oyu Tolgoi project finance lenders (e.g. International Finance Corporation, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development);
- Rio Tinto’s environmental policies, strategies and standards; and
- Regular monitoring of environmental performance and Oyu Tolgoi’s internal environmental monitoring programs.